Friday, October 7, 2011

My Dixie Darlin'

Couple months back, my dear friend, Barbara came down to Georgia to make the drive up to NYC with me in the Uhaul. It was a short trip, but we had a fun time and I was super grateful for the company. It was especially poignant because years back Barb and I met through playing country music in NYC. She and I both have a profound love for the Carter Family, so it was essential that we work a stop at the Carter Family Fold into the trip. I know I have posted about this place before, but it never gets old. The music is ALWAYS good, the people are always nice and it is just such beautiful country there steeped in history. We enjoyed the show, the museum, and the AP Carter cabin where Barbara got to meet a friend of the family and have her picture taken in both Johnny Cash's and June Carter's rocking chairs.





The next day as we were working our way North on 81, we stopped at the Dixie Caverns. Dixie Cavers is an "up cave" meaning a cave in a hill. We took part in a 45 minute tour and oogled over the stalagmites and stalactites. I took so many pictures, but here are a few. The caverns were named after the dog who discovered/fell into them back in 1920.



That night we drove on the Bowie, MD to my cousin's straw bale house. Barbara was super excited to see their eco homestead.

No comments:

Post a Comment