Thursday, May 27, 2010

Homemade Stanardsville

I have lots to tell you and I don't know where to start. So, I'll just start by telling you about my Aunt and Uncle's farm in Stanardsville, VA just north of Charlottesville... Laurie and Tom. Laurie is the sister to my step mom, and she and Tom are both very interesting, smart, talented, and generous people. I stayed there on and off for the last 2 weeks as they supported my hike along the Appalachian trail, waking up at 4 am to drop us off in the rain and picking us up on short notice with cold drinks in hand.
They live on 72 acres of protected land in a beautiful 1820's home. Most of those acres are used for hay production and about 1/2 an acre for a beautiful and highly yielding garden. They share the work and rewards with one other family. They have 3 lamas and 1 crazy unicorn sheep. Laurie likes making jewelry and took me to a wire wrapping class with her. That was awesome.
They have an out door wood burning brick oven and we made yummy fresh pizzas in there. Tom, and Laurie and their gardening partners jar and can and save and compost all they can from the garden and use it all year long. Tom is a bee keeper and they have tons of yummy honey too. Laurie made us meal after meal of amazing food including the best vegan biscuits I have ever had!!
I really had the best time there with them, planting beans in the garden, trying Tom's home brew, communing with the lamas and lounging around their beautiful home. Thank y'all so much, it really was a lovely and memorable time!!!

1 comment:

  1. plus a week after we planted the beans, they started to come up!!

    ReplyDelete