Monday, June 22, 2009

Where I lived 8000 year ago: June 19th, Grand Canyon to Zion to St George






I left the grand canyon with a little bit of sadness... I could spend a week there. The drive north however, was well, worth it. We drove on 64 east to circle around the canyon complete with many sweeping views and through the Navajo Indian reservation. Such beautiful landscape, orange, and tan hills and cliffs. The air was so dry and stretches of land with nothing growing. We kept north on our way to ZION national park! This place is awe inspiring. It is also in the desert but the type of rocks (sandstone) that form the canyon walls there, retain water, so at the bottom of the canyon, is very lush and green. It is like a small oasis in all this dry arid surroundings. We had such a nice time there doing small hikes and wadding around in the small river that runs through the park. Another thing I liked about Zion was the vertical gardens. The rocks stay damp enough that plants can survive in all the nook and crannies vertically up the side of the cliffs. Maiden hair ferns I love and know them from working at DSI but it was fun to see them in their natural habitat. We saw birds and salamanders and many lovely spots where I would like to build my house out of twigs and make baskets all day. Pictures just don't do this place justice... look for more online and go visit and take me with you. After a day at the park, we drove as far as St. George, Utah. We found a descent hotel room with a tiny swimming pool in the court yard and we all jumped in.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog
    and wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!


    Here is my homepage ... garcinia cambogia extract

    ReplyDelete