Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dear NYC, love HURTS!

Even with trepidation about my ability to write, I am starting this blog with the good intention to keep it updated! I hope if I fail at sending personal emails, I will succeed at this and be able to stay in touch with all of you in mass here. (I want to do my first post while I am still in NY, still and forever in love with the city. Ugh! But, love HURTS!)

For those of you who do not know, I am leaving June 1st to spend a month driving across country, to finally arrive in Northern California at an organic farm, where I will work picking vegetables, arranging flowers, and manning a farmers market stand until mid November. It is a big move and change and not one without fear and excitement in equal parts. I have found that I am missing a direction in my creative life and I am in need of a big shake down to have a path hopefully revealed to me. Somehow, my answer to that is to be outside, to do simple gratifying work with my hands, free up some brain space, and be in a place that is the total opposite of New York City. It is not a random choice however, after 13 years of veganism, I still care greatly about where my food comes from. So, I hope to learn as much as I am nourished and give as much as I take.

That is not to say that I don't love it here, especially with summer fast approaching. So, I wanted to indulge my sentimentality and give my two cents as to why NYC really is one of the greatest places on Earth. I know this is hokey, but I am doing it anyway!

1. Prospect Park.
2. Bike Rides to Rockaway Beach.
3. Live band karaoke.
4. The fact that small town girls like me can play music on big stages.
5. Jorge Pardo.
6. The truth in the statement that this is the biggest small town on the planet. That I can be randomly sitting on the F train next to a guy asking for directions who is in fact going to the same place I am and is also from Biloxi, MS.
7. Films out of doors.
8. Bjork in gas stations.
9. That is possible in ones first week living here to have a job painting Andrew Lloyd Webber's apartment.
10. Loyal friends.
11. Furniture on the sidewalk.
12. The cashank
13. Any kind of food I could ever dream up.
14. Roof top fireworks
15. Radio Lab.
16. The potential.

My list is short and inadequate and although I am anxious to leave, after 8 years, I still feel like I just got here. I do believe that this is a place where anything is possible. I also believe... sometimes, having that many choices is a burden. Oh, NYC, how I love to hate you and hate to love you!!

Well, I may be back in 6 months, with a new take and clarity on what this city can and should do for me, but if not.... thank you to all those who have befriended me, employed me, taught me, believed in me, entertained me, and given me a place to live. I am forever changed, and indebted. I consider myself very lucky to have the friends and the life that I do and I will miss you all something awful!!!

Stay tuned for news from the road, and stories of picking spinach (not from my teeth).

No comments:

Post a Comment